Sunday, February 9, 2014

Dark Hearts

I felt its presence as it slithered near
But I was blinded
Too afraid to admit fear

I approached it as a friend
And showed a brave face
But I knew what was coming before the first taste

I could say I was tricked
I can scream deceit
But in the end the only trickster was me

For my own sanity I was dishonest with myself
It blatantly showed its ferocity 
Even as I knelt 

The fangs pressed against skin
It gave quickly to my new friend
Then the venom began to drip within

It moved far but took no time
Straight to the heart 
A heart that was once mine

I felt it turn from red to black
Between spasms it withered
Leaving large gaps

Once so strong 
It could now easily crumble
Suddenly I felt weak and humble

As I ran from my new fate
I decided to hide my heart
To keep it hidden in a dark place

Protecting it from all
As those who have felt the venom must
Just to keep it from crumbling into dust

No comments:

Post a Comment