Sunday, December 28, 2014

A new world

I'm all on my own
In a place that is strange
All the rules I once knew
Have suddenly changed

There are all these expectations
Things they want me to be
All these things they say I should do
But i never know which ones in truth

I was told to give a gift
But when the time came
They kept saying no
As a formality they say

I never know when i should stand
Or when I should sit
And all the bowing
I can't get the hang of it

And these weird little sticks
They drive me insane
If I keep depending on them
I may starve in exchange

The cars come so suddenly
There is nowhere to walk
I just wish that near my house
There was a side walk

And when the bus comes
They just push me aside
One thing this culture hasn't heard of
Is obviously a line

And one thing i can't get used to
Is all of the stares
All I keep hearing is
"Look at the foreigner over there"

I didn't want to talk of cabs
But now I'm on a rant
Stop hitting on me
I'm really tired of it

And a shout out for my friend
If you all don't know
Stop asking if she's Russian
Here that means a hoe

And if they say your glamorous
Don't be quick to smile
He's not looking at your eyes
He's looking down

But there are many things
You still don't know
It isn't all bad
At least I don't think so

Here there is always a helping hand
When one is in need
They tell me how things work
Even the simply things

And that gift I gave
It did not cost much
But the appreciation they showed
My heart was touched

Though I may not know when to bow
They always go that extra mile
And often accept
A knowing nodding smile

And I've had a revelation
About these little sticks
They are quite useful
I've got the hang of it

And there are no sidewalks
This is very true
But it makes it so there is more room
For places you can go to

And when getting on the bus
They may push their way through
But if I'm asleep at my stop
They'll give me a little shove too

And they may say foreigner as I walk by
But it is out of curiosity
And they take the time
To see how I'm doing in this new country

And when I get cabs
They often try to talk
I've had drivers teach me helpful words
Like right, left and stop

And they may ask if she's Russian
But they won't push the topic
Usually they are pretty kind
And apologize when they stop it

Glamorous I may be
And yes some guys stare
But most guys are really respectful
And keep their eyes away from there

In all honestly
I like my new home
Its definitely not the same
But that's what I'm here for

The places are really interesting
The people are really kind
I can even walk down the street
Without a worry late at night

I'm not saying its perfect
It has its flaws
But in the end it isn't a bad place to be
I like it overall



No comments:

Post a Comment